Belle

Belle

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Currently Reading

Ok so I was reading a Christmas book called The Snow Globe and then I got the book, The Future of Us by Jay Asher.  Its the story of two teens, set in 1996-1997, who recieve an America Online CD Rom in the mail and sign up for the dial up service.  Some of you younger folk might be wonder just what I am talking about.  Yes there was a time before Internet Explorer and Firefox, Yahoo and all that good stuff.  You had to download America Online in order to get an email address or to dial up on to the internet, and <gasp> you could not use the phone at the same time you were on the internet!  My how things have evolved in the last 10 yrs!  Well they are using their free 100 hours of internet usage from AOL and they somehow get transported onto this page called Facebook.  Now that might not sound strange but back in 1996 there was no such thing.  So fast forward to present day on this strange web page called Facebook and these kids are seeing what their futures are going to be like.
I am really liking this story alot, especially because back in 1996 I was the same age as the characters are so I was into all the same music and things on TV and I too had the AOL CD roms to download.  I am not sure if younger audiences are going to "get" this book.  I will have to see as I get further into it, but right now for me, I'm really enjoying it.
Hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment