Belle

Belle

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review of : Reluctant Hero by Michael Benfante







This book was the true story of 9/11, not leaving out any of the disturbing details. That is one of the things that I liked about this book, he didn't try to sugar coat it. He told like it is, raw; and that's what 9/11 still is to a lot of people, raw. It is the story of how Michael Benfante (author) escaped the North Tower of the WTC on 9/11. How he and many others became heros with selfless acts of kindness.

There were some definite parts of the book that I really enjoyed and there were some parts that I didn't. I enjoyed hearing the story of what happened from start to finish on 9/11, what he experienced, what he saw, what he did and how he felt. I enjoyed reading how how he dealt with it afterwards and how he felt and moved on from that day.

I did not like how many pages and times he repeated the same things over and over about his anger. I understand that anger comes out of that day, I also understand the survivors guilt that he was dealing with. I think it is an important part of his story which was a good thing to tell. However I felt like it was filling pages or just dragging it out for lack of a better word. In a way I felt like the resolution that he felt was something that could have been added upon instead of dragging out the anger and hatred and dispair he fell into. There could have been a better balance rather than leaving the "letting go" part to a page and a half. Overall it was an entertaining book for the most part, and will give you a good idea of what it was like to be in the towers on that day, outside of the towers when they fell and the time afterwards in which to deal with what was seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment